Cloning means making a duplicate copy. Dolly the sheep was the first mammal to be cloned, and as technology reaches new heights – maybe someday humans will be cloned too.
Disk cloning however is an important tool for computer users, because it’s the process of replicating a computer’s operating system, drives, software, and patches, and every other bit of information.
This eliminates the tedious process of manually reconfiguring a system when performing several different tasks including restoring a computer and complete system recovery.
Given that cloning software is a vital tool in the computer world, deciding on the right one can be a bit overwhelming owing to the many options available. But after checking out several options, here’s the 2 best cloning software available that will do the job right the first time.
Best Cloning Software Reviews
The latest edition of NTI Echo is hailed as the best cloning software for several reasons, starting with its extended support for USB pen drives, NVMe SSD, SD, MMC, eMMC; UAS and UASP. It offers great versatility in that it can perform different types of cloning including partition cloning, dynamic resize cloning and one-to-one cloning among others.
The NTI Echo is a great choice when looking to upgrade to a larger or faster SSD, or simply making a duplicate copy as a backup, and offers support for several different operating systems including Mac, Linux, Windows or clone Windows/Linux/Mac multi-OS partitions.
Its Dynamic Resize Cloning feature allows you to clone your entire hard disk – OS, programs, data, partitions, and everything else you can think of to another drive with a single click. With the help of Echo smart-cloning technology, it automatically resizes the original’s drives partition to fit perfectly into a larger replacement drive.
The partition cloning feature of NTI Echo just like the name suggests performs partition cloning only, and is great for users that need to clone just the OS partition on their computer hard drive to a new, smaller, SSD.
One-to-one cloning is geared towards users looking to retain the original computer hard drive’s size and structure when cloning to a different drive. And if the new drive is larger than the original cloned drive, the leftover space will be left unallocated for future use.
And if you only want to clone certain files and partitions of your hard drive because the target hard drive is smaller, you can use the Filter Cloning feature of NTI Echo to choose exactly what files you’d like excluded in the cloned copy.
User-defined cloning is one of the key features of NTI Echo , because it allows you to increase or decrease partition sizes in the new drive to meet free space requirements. NTI Echo is a handy cloning software that rings with all the right features required to effectively and accurately clone several different types of drives and operating systems.
- IMPORTANT: Unlike the competition, NTI Echo 5 works with any cable, any brand HDD or SSD (including NVMe type), 2.5" or 3.5". Usage: Perfect for hard drive or SSD upgrade. Also good for full system Backup, transfer to SSD, and making a duplicate HDD as standby
- Versatile: Compatible with any USB-to-SATA adapters, it supports cloning to NVMe, 2.5" SSD and HDD, also to 3.5" HDD. Features NTI's trademarked "Dynamic Resize" technology, which enables cloning to a target drive of smaller, equal, or bigger size.
- Powerful: Able to clone Windows, Linux, Mac, or Windows/Linux/Mac multi-OS partitions* (Please see NOTE below)
- What's New in V5 version: New GUI; Improved Compatibility with latest Windows 10 and devices. Check NTIcorp website for FAQs, epsecially if you want to clone on a gaming PC/ laptop (e.g. Alienware, Predator).
- Note* & Disclaimers: Available in both CD-ROM and Download (download instructions inside the package). Internet connection required for software Activation. Installed and run from Windows (10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista or XP), able to clone multi-OS partitions with Windows, Linux and Mac OSX on them. Does NOT support encrypted or Dynamic Disk types, no support for most types of RAID.
Last update on 2021-01-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- Can perform a wide range of cloning processes
- Supports Mac, Linux, Windows, and multi OS partitions
- Allows cloning of specific files
- Great when upgrading to a larger HDD or faster SSD
- Intuitive user interface
May be tricky to use for first-time computer users
Acronis True Image Computer Backup Software
The Acronis True Image computer backup software is a powerful cloning solution that is compatible with Mac, Windows, iOS and Android operating systems. It is billed as the fastest backup and recovery solution available, and provides full system backup including system files, applications and settings.
It offers a range of powerful tools, which can all be accessed via the informative, easy-to-use dashboard. Furthermore, the software provides you with a clear insight into the backup operations, such as file sizes, tracking status of backups, measuring backup speeds, viewing color coded displays of the type of data stored.
Acronis True Image allows you to back up what you want with easy to access tools including nonstop backups, event-based scheduling, file/folder level backups, full image, and a boot media builder.
This reliable backup solution has been used by over 5 million users worldwide, and can make an active replica of a Mac or Windows system without the need to stop and restart. Backups done with this software can be encrypted with AES-256 encryption, whether it is in transit, onsite or in the cloud.
- Full Image Backup in Two Clicks: Protect everything to restore anything, Just two clicks back up your boot information, files, applications, operating system, and settings to local drives, external drives, NAS, network shares, and the cloud
- Dual Protection: Replicate local backups in the Acronis Cloud automatically to ensure off-site copies are always available for recovery
- Advanced Antimalware: Guard your data, applications, and devices against the latest malware, including zero-day ransomware and cryptojacking attacks, in real-time, Scan your full system or at-risk folders for viruses on demand
- Mobile Backup: Secure the data from all of your smartphones and tablets via Wi-Fi to your PC, Mac, or NAS device, or directly to Acronis Cloud Storage, Migrate data from Android to iOS and back again
- Anywhere Access: Retrieve any file in your cloud backup from any computer or mobile device, and manage any backup plan on your account, all through our web-based console
Last update on 2021-01-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- Nonstop local backups
- Compatible with several operating systems
- Informative, easy to use dashboard
- Regarded as the fastest backup and recovery solution
- AES-256 encryption available
- Ransomware protection
- Can be used on 3 computers
May perform auto-backups automatically
Looking for the best cloning software? The two options on this list come with premium features and are hard to beat in this segment. The NTI Echo and Acronis True Image software options are compatible with several different types of operating systems and devices including USB drives and offer different types of cloning, and ability the encrypt the backup files.